www.brownfieldlibrary.com

Brownfield PUBLIC LIBRARY

 

ABOUT TOWN

BROWNFIELD PUBLIC LIBRARY 1896-2017

   Hours:  Tues.2-7    Wed. 10- 1   Thurs. & Fri. 2-6   Sat. 10-2

 

 

Announcing:

The publication of

Brownfield, Maine - A History

Coming the Spring of 2018

Pre-order now for a discount and a Gift Certificate

All proceeds go to benefit the Brownfield Public Library and The Brownfield Historical Society

 

Order here: www.brownfieldmaine.com

or stop in at the Library or Edge of Maine Art and Framing

 Since Ben Franklin founded the Free library of Philadelphia in 1731, the first public library in the nation, libraries have flourished throughout the country. "The Brownfield Public Library was started by the ladies of the Centre village as the Brownfield Library Association, about ten years ago. For some time the library was kept at the Odd Fellows Building, and has been cared for by different members of the association. The present neat little building was bought, moved to the lot and refitted for the needs of the library, which now contains about 640 volumes." The Town Registry 1907

Brownfield 1900

THE town, or to be more correct the township of Brownfield is in the southern part of Oxford County midway between Portland, Maine and Bretton Woods, N. H. It is on the natural direct route between these two points whether one travels by train or by auto. Before the days of railroads there was a continual stream of traffic passing between Portland and the country points far to the west of the Crawford Notch. For many years this once popular highway was neglected by tourists on account of the extremely poor roadway. All this has been changed and this convenient route is again coming into its own. It is now known as the Pequawket Trail, having been taken over by the state and completely rebuilt from Portland to Fryeburg where it joins the well know Roosevelt Trail.

There are two villages in the township of Brownfield, one known as Brownfield, or the "Center" and the other as East Brownfield, or the "Depot." Strangers are often confused as the railroad station, express and telegraph offices are officially designated under the name of ''Brownfield" although they are located in the village of East Brownfield. To add to the con­fusion each place has its own Post Office named for the village in which it is situated. Thus one finds the East Brownfield Post Office located within a few yards of the Brownfield station.

The "NEW UBERTY" is a comfortable all-the-year-round hotel located in the village of East Brownfield directly opposite the Brownfield station of the Maine Central Railroad. It is an old-established house which has been favorably known among the traveling men for many years. It is equipped with electric lights (twenty-four hour service) modern plumbing, and steam heat. It has a local telephone service besides a station on the trunk line of the New England Tel. & Tel. Co.

 

From a brochure for the New Uberty Inn.

Isabel H. Stickney Proprietor 1930

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Quakers came for several years to help rebuild the town after the fire of ‘47. One of the first Community buildings to be rebuilt after the fire was the public library. In June 2004 the building was moved down to its current location, on what was the Spring Farm, near the Daniel Bean Civil War Monument.

PO Box215     207 935-3003

CONTACT

Submitting Form...

The server encountered an error.

Form received.

 Since Ben Franklin founded the Free library of Philadelphia in 1731, the first public library in the nation, libraries have flourished throughout the country. "The Brownfield Public Library was started by the ladies of the Centre village as the Brownfield Library Association, about ten years ago. For some time the library was kept at the Odd Fellows Building, and has been cared for by different members of the association. The present neat little building was bought, moved to the lot and refitted for the needs of the library, which now contains about 640 volumes." The Town Registry 1907
 Since Ben Franklin founded the Free library of Philadelphia in 1731, the first public library in the nation, libraries have flourished throughout the country. "The Brownfield Public Library was started by the ladies of the Centre village as the Brownfield Library Association, about ten years ago. For some time the library was kept at the Odd Fellows Building, and has been cared for by different members of the association. The present neat little building was bought, moved to the lot and refitted for the needs of the library, which now contains about 640 volumes." The Town Registry 1907