BROWNFIELD PUBLIC LIBRARY 1896-2017
Hours: Tues.2-7 Wed. 10- 1 Thurs. & Fri. 2-6 Sat. 10-2
The publication of
Brownfield, Maine - A History
Coming the Spring of 2018
Pre-order now for a discount and a Gift Certificate
All proceeds go to benefit the Brownfield Public Library and The Brownfield Historical Society
Order here: www.brownfieldmaine.com
or stop in at the Library or Edge of Maine Art and Framing
THE town, or to be more correct the township of Brownfield is in the southern part of Oxford County midway between Portland, Maine and Bretton Woods, N. H. It is on the natural direct route between these two points whether one travels by train or by auto. Before the days of railroads there was a continual stream of traffic passing between Portland and the country points far to the west of the Crawford Notch. For many years this once popular highway was neglected by tourists on account of the extremely poor roadway. All this has been changed and this convenient route is again coming into its own. It is now known as the Pequawket Trail, having been taken over by the state and completely rebuilt from Portland to Fryeburg where it joins the well know Roosevelt Trail.
There are two villages in the township of Brownfield, one known as Brownfield, or the "Center" and the other as East Brownfield, or the "Depot." Strangers are often confused as the railroad station, express and telegraph offices are officially designated under the name of ''Brownfield" although they are located in the village of East Brownfield. To add to the confusion each place has its own Post Office named for the village in which it is situated. Thus one finds the East Brownfield Post Office located within a few yards of the Brownfield station.
The "NEW UBERTY" is a comfortable all-the-year-round hotel located in the village of East Brownfield directly opposite the Brownfield station of the Maine Central Railroad. It is an old-established house which has been favorably known among the traveling men for many years. It is equipped with electric lights (twenty-four hour service) modern plumbing, and steam heat. It has a local telephone service besides a station on the trunk line of the New England Tel. & Tel. Co.
From a brochure for the New Uberty Inn.
Isabel H. Stickney Proprietor 1930
The Quakers came for several years to help rebuild the town after the fire of ‘47. One of the first Community buildings to be rebuilt after the fire was the public library. In June 2004 the building was moved down to its current location, on what was the Spring Farm, near the Daniel Bean Civil War Monument.
PO Box215 207 935-3003